Monday, March 24, 2008

You've got questions, I've got answers aplenty

Last post I mentioned the "No answering the phone" rule, prompting my friend Alicia to ask, "What are the rules?" You will find the answer below but first I just want to say that Alicia has one of the craziest bus experiences I've ever heard: A few years ago some dude pulled a gun out on the 38 and threatened her and her friend. They're ok. I don't remember what happened to the guy. Insane.

The Rules:

I'm the type of person that lives by many self-imposed rules so as such, this project is no different. Before I began I came up with some things that I decided I would absolutely not do, but now that I've started things are getting modified; however, the spirit of the law is what's important here.

First there are the technology rules: No cell phone and no iPod.

I need to bring my phone so I can tell time since I don't use a watch but I've vowed not to take calls while adventuring. The only reason I took a call on the J was because I had plans later in the day that needed to be discussed. I felt very bad for answering even though it was legitimate. I won't do it again.

Yes, I have an iPod. No, I did not break down and buy it for myself. Yes, I listen to it all the time on the bus. No, I do not listen to it on adventures. I don't even bring it along.

I think that these two things would be distracting and allow for a less authentic bus experience. Who wants that? Not me.

Second Rule: No getting off.

I don't necessarily foresee this being a problem for me but it's always good to have a rule you know you can keep. Also, if the bus breaks down and I have to get off, I will wait for another one, except if the weather is really bad. Then I will stop living my dream and get real because I hate cold weather.

Third Rule: I must start at the first stop and get off at the very last stop.

Originally I tried to ride the 1 line to start but mis-read the MUNI map and got on at the SECOND stop. Even though it was only a block away from the first stop, I couldn't let myself just go with it. The whole point of this project is to a) see the entire bus line, and b) stay aware that many of us only follow a route from certain points, rather than experiencing the whole thing. The most interesting thing, for me, about MUNI and other forms of transportation is that in one stretch of road there are so many different lives and sights all connected. So it's very important to go from start to finish in order to get a correct sense of what's going on.

Fourth Rule: Talking to people during an adventure.

When I first started this, I was adamant: I will not talk to anyone else. I'm not going to get involved. I will just sit on the bus and write about what I see. About 10 minutes into the first ride, I knew this was a mistake. It's almost impossible to ride public transit and not interact with the public. Someone will talk to you or look at you, or someone will do something and you'll react to it. Non-participation is not really an option. Especially for me with a notebook open and a camera out. People seem curious, but don't want to ask questions (probably because I look so
threatening.) The good news for the curious is that I'm revamping my business cards so that should take care of some of the silent questioning.

Fifth Rule: I will ride EVERY line.

I think this is the most important rule. Some bus lines are less desirable than others. Some go to the outskirts of town. Some are a pain to get to. Some have people we don't want to see. Some are dangerous.

No matter. This isn't about only riding the pretty, safe bus lines. It's about seeing and experiencing everything.

That being said, I'm not stupid. Sometimes it's better to go somewhere with a partner and I'm thinking about how I want to do that. If someone else comes along, there will be NO TALKING. I might even make us sit apart. The other person could contribute as a guest blogger. I haven't totally figured it out yet, so stay tuned.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

yeah rules! I love explanations.

About the 38-bus experience. It was freaky, he didn't exactly pull the gun on us. Apparently my friends super pale (like crazy pale) blue eyes caught this guys attention and he thought she was staring at him. He started taking very loudly at her from his seat in the very back. We were sitting across from the back door, and he got off a few stops after the loud talking began and paused on the steps out the door, pulled a gun from his big jacket and waved it around, telling us to watch ourselves. Needless to say we were glad we were going many stops away, to the dorms.

Not an experience I'd like to repeat. I much preferred the guy who performed Shakespearian soliloquies on the 31.

Anonymous said...

How do you pick which lines to go first on? Do you rate them from shitty to fun?

Rachel said...

Sounds awesome and daunting all at the same time...
Be careful!
My first week in SF I accidentally took the 29 all the way to the end of the line... Scary (or at least it was 8 years ago)! The driver took pity on me and let me stay on the bus while he took his break... 2 hours later I was dropped off where I started...
Look forward to reading it!

THERM said...

Rules, rules, rules. World is full of rules. Especially in a place as politically correct as SF. Give me the freedom of Paso Robles, home of politically incorrect.

BTW, based on what Rachel sez, I would avoid the 29.