Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Argh mateys, there be pirates roaming these city streets!

One of my favorite San Francisco characters is a guy I call "The Muni Pirate." He hangs out on Market Street, usually between Powell and Montgomery, hawking transfers. He always wears a headscarf, heavy boots and a gold earring. I'm still trying to figure out if he uses eyeliner or if his eyes are just naturally well-outlined. Sometimes he has a carpetbag.

A few weeks ago, I was on my way home from work when I saw TMP in action! But let's get this straight, the guy is always in action. When he's not running onto buses, throwing pennies in the meter and grabbing a stack of transfers to sell, he's giving potential customers the once-over and siding up to you all shady whispering, "Hey, you need one?" From what I've been quoted, his going price is between 50 cents to a dollar.

I've never bought a transfer from him, but I'm always curious about who does. My curiosity has been sated because I saw not one, but two exchanges take place, on two different days, in two different spots. I was excited about it.

Number one comes from the median across from Abercrombie. I saw him sell this old lady a crumply pass for some change. He gave her a head nod and disappeared. She was unfazed.



Number two took place at Market and Montgomery. He sold the guy in scrubs a pass for a dollar. Scrubs guy kept his earphones in and didn't say anything. He did give the pirate a head nod after the exchange though.


I'm just so curious about this guy. Has he ever been busted? What's his deal? Is this profitable? Maybe one of these days I can line up an interview.

Until then, stay tuned. I promise to be back on track soon. I sort of took a summer hiatus and just never came off of it. It happens.

5 comments:

maloriejae said...

i've totally bought a transfer from him! i paid him $1.50 tho. didn't know he gave bargains. where does he get the transfers?

Unknown said...

I can't believe you paid full price!! I thought the whole point was that it was at a discount!

I've seen him obtain transfers two ways. The first method involves him running onto the bus and dropping random change in the machine. He grabs a handful and then runs off. I've seen him do this twice on the 5 when it was packed. The bus driver couldn't really do anything since they're on a schedule and really, what's the driver going to do? Run down Market, tackle him and get the passes back while leaving the bus in the lane? Right.

I've also seen him pick up stray transfers and smooth them out, but given the amount of passes he usually has, I am going to venture to say that's not his typical source.

kap$hure said...

I've seen this guy many times. I've even purchased from him. @maloriejae did you have a camera around your neck when you bought it -- because Kathleen is right -- that's the point of TMP guy is a discounted pass. haha.. j.k.

i used to speculate that maybe he had a sympathetic insider at MUNI who kicked him a stack of passes so he could make some skrilla. but if you have seen him do a snatch-n-grab on a packed bus -- well that's proly most likely his means of obtaining them.

i have however, seen him once or twice without the headband and eyeliner.. so it does come off. its not permanent pirate-ness.

but i've also had old chinese men out in the sunset hawking them too for $1 but not the full pass like TMP does - just the pass he had bought that morning! sucker!


www.berderp.com

Anonymous said...

keep posting, please. i always find your writing incredibly entertaining and fun to read. i love the stories and sharp observations. thanks.

-toby

Unknown said...

Toby,

Fear not! I am totally in the midst of writing a new one for the M. It's just taken me awhile to sit down and have enough time to read my shaky bus writing. My goal is before January 1, so keep an eye out!!

Thanks for reading!

Kathleen