Thursday, May 15, 2008

Oh, MUNI...

Guess what everyone?! I have a not-so-MUNI related (but still exciting) transit story and lots of ridiculousness as experienced on the M-Ocean View. Keep an eye out for those two.

But for now, a story.

A couple weekends ago I was down in the Mission and used my MUNI pass on BART. I usually keep my MUNI pass in a passholder thing, but it's sort of inconvenient on BART so I ended up just putting the pass in my back pocket.

Fast forward to Monday, I go to get on my morning bus and realize, "My pass is gone!" At first I thought I lost it, but then I realized I just forgot to take it out of my jeans pocket. Phew. Luckily Mr. 31BX and I are tight so he let me on, no problem.

On the ride to work, I hatch this terrific plan to photocopy my coworker's May pass and just stick it in my passholder. Of course I forget.

I leave downtown around 7:30 p.m. and decide to just be cool, get on my phone, flash my April pass with my thumb over the "APR" and go to the back of the bus. No problem, tons of people evade MUNI everyday.

Except that I hate lying and stealing, I'm not very good at it and my poker face is suspicious. So of course the bus driver yells at me. "Ma'am! What do you think you're doing?" Blergh.

I look down at my pass and gasp. "Oh no! I am so sorry." Of course my change purse is completely empty except for two one-dollar bills.

I sat down angry. I can't believe I had to pay TWO DOLLARS! I can't believe he wouldn't just let me on! I could have shown him a year's worth of passes!

So basically, I'm 0-2 in MUNI fare evasion. The first time, I was in college and lost my bus pass ID and tried to get on near Balboa Park. The driver yelled at me, made me pay and told me if I ever tried to do it again I would be prosecuted. Thankfully I wasn't.

And yet, people ride for free everyday. Life's mysteries.

2 comments:

Greg said...

i hear ya...I just know the one day I leave my pass at home and dare trying to board and be a hippie freeloader, I'll have 10 of the roughest toughest fare inspectors, backed up by the SFPD to give me a serious beating for fare evasion.

that's why I always keep quarters in my pocket, because yes, I am that paranoid! :-)

Anonymous said...

OH WHAT A TANGLED WEB WE WEAVE WHEN...TO DECEIVE! LOVE MOM <3